(Last Updated on : 03-02-2009)
Naharkatia is a town situated in Dibrugarh district of the northeastern state of India, Assam. It is basically an oil-producing town near Digboi. It was here where oil was first discovered in independent India. Namrup is located at a distance of 10 km. from Naharkatia and Digboi is located at a distance of 32 km. from Naharkatia. The nearest railway station is the Naharkatia Railway station. Tinkhang is in the west of Naharkatia, Duliagaon in the north, Jaipur in the east and Namrup in the south.
As per the Indian Census report of 2001, Naharkatia had a population of 15,528. Males account for 53 percent of the population and females comprises of the remaining 47 percent. In Naharkatia, 10 percent of the population is less than six years of age. The Census report also throws light on the literacy rate of Naharkatia, which is 78 percent. It is higher than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5 percent. It also contains natural gas.