(Last Updated on : 03/02/2009)
Mungeli is a prominent city located in Bilaspur district of the Indian state of Chhattisgarh. Geographically, the town is located between 22.07° North latitude and 81.68° East longitude at a height of 288 metres (944 feet) above mean sea level. It is located in the west of Bilaspur, the district headquarters town at a distance of 40 km. The nearest airport is the Chhattisgarh. Raipur Airport and the nearest railway station is the Bilaspur Junction Railway Station.
Detailed information about the town is given in the Indian Census report published in 2001. According to the report, Mungeli had a population of 27,387. Out of it, males constitute 52% of the population and females comprises of the remaining 48%. In Mungeli, 13% of the population is less than six years of age. The Census report also provides information about the literacy rate of the city. The literacy rate of Mungeli is 69%, which is higher than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. To be specific, the male literacy rate is 78% and the female literacy rate is 59%.
The place is famous for the cultivation of Karayal or Kalaunji.