(Last Updated on : 03-02-2009)
Mundgod is a ' panchayat town' situated in Uttara Kannada district of the south Indian state of India, Karnataka. It is in the north of Bylakuppe at a distance of 267 miles and in the south of Hubli at a distance of 32 miles. The nearest railway station is at Hubli, which is 420 km north of Bangalore, on the Bangalore-Pune National Highway. Geographically, the town is located between 14.97° North latitude and 75.03° East longitude at a height of 567 metres (1860 feet) above mean sea level.
Mundgod is famous as one of the settlements for the Tibetan refugees. In 1966,the Doeguling Tibetan Settlement situated at Tattihalli in Mundgod was established. This place is among the few refugee settlements for exiled Tibetans in south India. The nearby place of interest around Mundgod includes a monastery.
As per the Indian census report of 2001, Mundgod had a population of 16171. Out of it, the male population constitutes 51% of the population and females' account for the remaining 49%. In Mundgod, 15% of the population is less than six years of age. The average literacy rate of Mundgod is 67%, which is higher than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. Gender wise the male literacy rate is 73% and the female literacy rate is 62%.