(Last Updated on : 17-08-2015)
Morar is in the east of Gwalior
in Madhya Pradesh
, the district headquarters at a distance of 5 km. Morar Cantonment is listed as one of the 62 military Cantonments of India
. At present also there are several units of the Indian Army
in Morar. National Bird of India
- the Peacock
, (Mor in Hindi) is found in plenty in this region and thus the name "Morar".
Morar is also recognized as a 'Green Region' of Gwalior as it has many farm lands in a rural set up comprising 14 villages. But presently, the farm lands are near to extinct as they are being converted as place of residences. Slowly the outlook of Morar Cantonment is changing from rural to urban and emphasizes for development of roads, pavements with adequate street lights, provision of portable water, drains and sewers.
History of Morar Cantonment
Morar Cantonment was established as a Military cantonment town in 1956, classified as a Category II Establishment which is managed by a Cantonment Board consisting of 14 members. During the British rule in India
, Morar was a British military cantonment and the center of protest activities during the Revolt of 1857
when the British Army men refused to take their Rifles
as a protest, upon which Military action was taken against them, which laid foundation for Independence struggle movement
Demography of Morar Cantonment
As per the Census report published in 2011, Morar Cantonment in Madhya Pradesh had a population of 2,23,673. Males account for 55% of the population and females comprises of the remaining 45%. In Morar Cantonment, 15% of the population is less than 6 years of age. The average literacy rate of Morar Cantonment is 78%, which is higher than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. The male literacy rate is 87% and the female literacy rate is 69%.
Tourism in Morar Cantonment
The prime attraction in Morar Cantonment is the "Sun Temple
", which bears resemblance with the Sun Temple at Konark
How to Reach Morar Cantonment
Morar Cantonment is approachable by railroad, Antri railway station located near Morar Cantonment and airport at Gwalior in about 26 km distance, from where one can drive to Morar.
Facilities at Morar Cantonment
Morar Cantonment houses several establishments of Indian Army, with a number of operating units installed within its confines, including a Military Hospital, Station Headquarters and other installations such as a stadium, Baaz Stadium and a movie theatre known as "Baaz Cinema".