(Last Updated on : 03-02-2009)
Mehdawal is a ' panchayat town' situated in Sant Kabir Nagar district of the northern state of India, Uttar Pradesh. It is situated in the north of Charthari at a distance of 20 kms and in the east of Rigauli at a distance of 12 kms. Khalilabad and Baghnagar are the neighbouring towns connected by roadways to Mehdawal. Khalilabad Railway Station and the airport at Lucknow are the nearest means of communication for Mehdawal.
As per the Indian Census report published in 2001, Mehdawal had a population of 24, 683. Males account for 52% of the population and females account for the remaining 48%. In Mehdawal, 18% of the population is less than six years of age. The Census also focuses on the literacy rate of the town in order to throw light on the status of the population inhabiting the town. The average literacy rate of Mehdawal is 48%, which is much lower than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. To be specific, the male literacy rate is 57% of the population and female literacy rate is 37%.