(Last Updated on : 03/02/2009)
Mataundh is a prominent 'panchayat town' situated in Banda district of the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. The town rests at a height of 142 metres (465 feet) above mean sea level and is located between 25.45° North latitude and 80.15° East longitude. It is strategically located on N H 76 , situated in the middle of Kabrai and Khairar. It shares its borders with the Mahoba district and Hamirpur district. The Mataundh Railway Station falls on the Jhansi-Manikpur rail route and the Civil Airport Khajuraho facilitates communication for Mataundh.
As per the Indian Census report published in 2001, Mataundh had a small population of 8278. Out of it, males account for 53% of the population and females comprises of the remaining 47%. In Mataundh, 17% of the population is less than six years of age. The Census report also throws light on the literacy rate of the town, which is 47%. It is much lower than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. To be specific, the male literacy rate is 575 and the female literacy rate is 35%.
Kairada, a serene village located near Mataundh is famous for Four Stone Pillars.