Detailed information about the town can be found in the Indian Census report of 2001. According to this report, Marathakkara had a population of 17,934. Out of it, males comprises of 49% of the population and females account for the remaining 51%. In this 'census town' 12% of the population is less than six years of age. The Census report also throws light on the literacy rate of the town, which is 81% and is higher than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. To be specific, the male literacy rate is 83% and the female literacy rate is 79%.
The Thrikkur River flows through the village. One of the famous cave temples Thrikkur Rock Cave Temple is situated near Marathakkara. Other attractions in and around Marathakkara are Marathakkara Kalari Temple, Kanakassery Siva temple, a Roman Catholic Church and a convent. The place has numerous tile factories making it industrially strong.