(Last Updated on : 03-02-2009)
Maraimalainagar is a small settlement, in Kancheepuram district of the south Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is located on the Chennai-Tiruchirapalli Road and is located very close to the Chennai International Airport. The town is located in the south of Chennai, the state capital at a distance of 81 kms. Geographically, the town is located between 12'41'30" North latitude and 74'58'00" East longitude at a height of 28 metres above mean sea level. The town was named Maraimalainagar in memory of Maraimalai Adigalar.
It is imperative to know the demography of the town in order to get an idea about the status of the population inhabiting the town. As per the Indian Census report published in 2001, the population of Maraimalainagar was enumerated to be 48,449. To be specific, males comprises of 52% of the population and females account for the remaining 48%. In Maraimalainagar, 11% of the population is less than six years of age. The average literacy rate of Maraimalainagar is 72%, which is much higher than the national average literacy rate of 59.5%. To be specific, the male literacy rate is 80% and the female literacy rate is 64%.
The town is famous for its industrial parks; the noted ones are the Mahindra Industrial Park Limited and the Maraimalainagar Industrial Estate. The Maraimalainagar Industrial Estate has many industries like SPIC, UCAL, FORD and RANE.