(Last Updated on : 03-02-2009)
Located in the Lalitpur district of the north Indian state of Uttar Pradesh, Mahroni is a prominent town and a nagar panchayat. It is one of the three taluks of the Lalitpur district. It lies to the east of Lalitpur at a distance of 37 km. It is about 20 km from Tikamgarh. Banpur and Chhilla are the neighbouring towns of Mahroni. The nearest railway station is the Lalitpur Railway Station and Civil Airport Khajuraho. It is located close to the border of Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. Geographically, the town is located between 24.58° North latitude and 78.72° East longitude at a height of 365 metres (1197 feet) above mean sea level.
Detail information about the town is stated in the Indian Census report published in 2001. According to the report, Mahroni had a population of 8647. Out of it, males comprise of 53% of the population and females constitute the remaining 47%. In Mahroni, 16% of the population is less than six years of age. The average literacy rate of Mahroni is 67%, which is higher than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. The male literacy rate is 76% and the female literacy rate is 56%.
The historic town of Madanpur is situated in the south of Mahroni. This place has numerous ruins, which reminds of the ancient Chandela Dynasty. There is also a beautiful Vishnu Temple. Deogarh is accessible from Mahroni via Birdha.