(Last Updated on : 23-07-2010)
Mankachar is a 'census town' located in the Dhubri district of the northeastern state of India, Assam. Strategically located on the Indo- Bangladesh border, Mankachar is encircled by Dhubri on the north, Meghalaya on the south and Goalpara on the east and Bangladesh on the west. The NH 37 stretching from Goalpara to Guwahati passes through Mankachar is an important roadway. It is also accessible from Guwahati via Tura in the West Garo Hills District and from Dhubri via ferry service.
Detailed information of the town can be found in the Indian Census report of 2001, which throws light on the status of the population. According to the report, Mankachar had a population of 28,771. Males account for 51% of the population and females comprises of the remaining 49%. In Mankachar, 19% of the population is less than six years of age. The average literacy rate of Mankachar is 53%, which is lower than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. Out of it, the male literacy rate is 58% and the female literacy rate is 47%.
A common phenomenon of the town is flood because the Brahmaputra and its tributaries traverse the town. The prime attractions of the town are the temple of Goddess Kamakhya and Rangapani. The remnants of general Mir-jumla, the Army General of the great Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb is found in Rangapani.