(Last Updated on : 23-07-2010)
Mangrol is a coastal city located in the Junagadh district of the western state of India, Gujarat. Perched at a height of 18 metres (59 feet) above mean sea level, it is located between 21.12° North latitude and 70.12° East longitude. The nearest airport is at Porbandar and the Junagadh Junction Railway Station , on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad rail route of the Western Railways, is the nearest railway station.
The Census report of 2001 throws light on the other aspects of the town. According to this report, Mangrol had a population of 55, 094. Males account for 51% of the population and females comprises of the remaining 49%. In Mangrol, 16% of the population is less than six years of age. The average literacy rate of Mangrol is 58%, which is slightly lower than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. To be specific, the male literacy rate is 69% and the female literacy rate is 48%.
The pleasant climate of Mangrol favours the cultivation of crops like cotton, groundnut, bajra, gram, wheat and jowar. It is famous for kesar mangoes and coconuts. The Damodar Kund, Ashoka's Rock Edicts and Ahmedpur Mandvi Beach are some of the prime attractions around Mangrol.