(Last Updated on : 30/07/2013)
Churches of Delhi
are included among the most magnificent monuments of the country. These ancient churches, in addition to being the spiritual centres, also narrate many important historical events. Christianity
had touched the Indian subcontinent ages ago and these churches are the magnificent testaments of this fact. They have served and maintained the traditions and rituals of Christianity since ancient past. Most of the Churches of Delhi had been designed by British
Cathedral Church of the Redemption
Cathedral Church of the Redemption is situated in the east of Parliament
House of New Delhi. It is also known as Viceroy Church. This magnificent church is a part of the Delhi diocese of the Church of North India. The church was established in 1900 CE to meet the British Officer's spiritual needs. This beautiful church took eight years for its completion. Henry Medd, the architect of this church designed it in such a way that the building remains serene and cool in hot summers. The high arches and domes are exquisitely carved that pleased the then Viceroy Lord Irwin and he gifted a silver cross and an organ to the church.
Central Baptist Church
Central Baptist Church is the most ancient church of Delhi
and amongst the oldest Christian mission of northern India. Situated in Chandni Chowk
road of Delhi, the church was built in 1814. The church displays excellent European architecture. Beautiful carvings and motifs adorn the church which has been well maintained. The memoirs of the people who bestowed their services on the church are decorated on the walls.
St. James' Church
St. James' Church is an ancient church of Delhi, established in 1836 by Colonel James Skinner. It is an Anglican church and is one of the oldest churches of the city. The church is located at Kashmiri
Gate. The bungalow of British Commissioners of Delhi, William Frazer, is situated behind the church and the church houses his graveyard.
Sacred Heart Cathedral
Sacred Heart Cathedral is also enlisted among the oldest churches of the city. It is a Roman Catholic Cathedral
and is located in Connaught Place. The church was designed by Henry Medd which exhibits Italian architecture. Broad arches and polished stone floors are the most fascinating feature of the church. Christmas and Easter are the main ceremonies celebrated here. The Christmas Vigil Service and the Feast of the Holy Family of Nazareth, during Christmas are the events that attract a large crowd. Apart from this, a number of social and cultural programs are also organized in this church throughout the year.
St. Luke's Church
St. Luke's Church, a Roman Catholic Parish was constructed in the year 1979. It is situated in Defence Colony and is a part of the Archdiocese of Delhi.
St. Stephen's Church
St. Stephen's Church is an ancient church of Delhi having a spectacular architecture. Situated on Church Mission Road, the church was established in the year 1862 by Anglican missionaries. It is under the administration of Church of North India Diocese of Delhi. The church had been designed in Italian Gothic architecture. The most alluring feature of the church is the exclusive stained glass rose window. Beautiful pictures, furniture and carvings decorate the church interior in most delightful way.
Churches of Delhi are exemplary of finest architecture. The beautiful interiors and stained glass window are the manifestations of brilliant artistry. In addition of pilgrims, these churches also attract a number of tourists from different parts of the world.