Muthupet, Tiruvarur, Tamil Nadu - Informative & researched article on Muthupet, Tiruvarur, Tamil Nadu
 Indianetzone: Largest Free Encyclopedia of India with thousand of articlesIndian Cities


in  
 Art & Culture|Entertainment|Health|Reference|Sports|Society|Travel
Forum  | Free E-magazine  | RSS Feeds  
States of India|Indian Cities|Beaches of India|Hill Stations in India|Forests in India
Home > Travel > Indian Cities > Cities of India > Cities of Tamil Nadu > Muthupet
Muthupet, Tiruvarur, Tamil Nadu
Muthupet is a `panchayat town` located in Tiruvarur district of Tamil Nadu.
 
 Muthupet, Tiruvarur, Tamil NaduMuthupet is a 'panchayat town' located in Tiruvarur district of the southern state of India, Tamil Nadu. It is located in the southern tip of the Cauvery delta next to the Bay of Bengal. The Korayar River flows in the east of Muthupet and the Bamaniyar River flows in the west. The two rivers join near Muthupet and form a lagoon, which contains a variety of fish. Located about 400 km. from Chennai, Thirutturaipoondi and Vedaranyam are situated in the vicinity. The nearest railway station is the Muthupet Railway Station on the Karaikkudi - Tiruturaipundi line. Regular bus services also connects the town with the cities of Thanjavur, Mannargudi and Tiruvarur.

Detailed information of this panchayat town is revealed in the Indian Census report of 2001. According to the report, Muthupet had a population of 17,313. Males constitute 47% of the population and females' account for the remaining 53%. In Muthupet, 12% of the population is less than six years of age. The average literacy rate of Muthupet is 71%, which is national average literacy rate, which is 59.5%. Out of it, the male literacy rate is 78% and the female literacy rate is 65%.

The lagoon in Muthupet makes it an ideal place for fishing, pearl hunting and bird hunting. It is well known for its fin fishes, shrimps and crabs. Muthupet is embellished with many mosques, which includes, Jumma (Kuthba) Mosque, New Mosque, Azath Nagar Mohideen Mosque, Darga Shariff Mosque, Makkah Mosque, Madhina Mosque, Arab Sahib Mosque, Kuttiyar Mosque, Mohideen Mosque, Pettai Mohideen Mosque, Jamia Mosque and Noor Mosque.

(Last Updated on : 27/07/2010)
More Articles in Cities of Tamil Nadu  (283)
 
Madurai  (9)
 
Thanjavur  (8)
 
Coimbatore  (3)
 
Trichy  (2)
 
 
 
Vedaranyam  (2)
 
 
Erode  (1)
 
 
 
Dindigul  (1)
 
Salem  (1)
 
 
 
Kumbakonam  (1)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Recently Updated Articles in Indian Cities
Tourism in Thiruvananthapuram
Tourism in Thiruvananthapuram is a combination of various enticing experiences including savouring of natural beauty, visiting the religious refuges and exploring the diverse aspects of the city.
Botanical Garden and Nature Park
Botanical Garden and Nature Park of Chandigarh shelters and nurtures enormous variety of plants and preserves the natural heritage of India. It is divided into fifteen sections where cultivation and conservation of different species are done.
Sriharikota Island
Sriharikota Island, also called Sriharikot is a barrier island off the coast of the southern state of Andhra Pradesh.
Kekaya
Kekaya is an ancient city, now Punjab
Noorichan Wildlife Sanctuary
Noorichan Wildlife Sanctuary is the abode of a wide variety of Ladakhi animals and plants.
E-mail this Article | Post a Comment
Forum
Forum on Indian Cities
Free E-magazine
Subscribe to Free E-Magazine on Travel
 
 
Muthupet, Tiruvarur, Tamil Nadu - Informative & researched article on Muthupet, Tiruvarur, Tamil Nadu
Sitemap
Contact Us   |   RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2008 Jupiter Infomedia Ltd. All rights reserved including the right to reproduce the contents in whole or in part in any form or medium without the express written permission of
Jupiter Infomedia Ltd.