(Last Updated on : 28/08/2015)
Jodhpur District is famous for its majestic jewel in the crown of Rajasthan
. Jodhpur is a prominent city situated in the Jodhpur district towards the west. From the fringes of the enigmatic Thar Desert
, emerges the princely town of Jodhpur. The second largest city of Rajasthan has once remained the capital of erstwhile Marwar
Location of Jodhpur District
Jodhpur District is surrounded by the majestic Mehrangarh fort
, grand palaces, monuments, temples and gardens. Jodhpur is the epitome of multi-faceted grandeur. Tie-dyers, puppet makers and traditional spice makers add to the ethnic flavour of the city.
Geography of Jodhpur District
Geographically, Jodhpur District is located between 26.29 degree North latitude and 73.03 degree East longitude at a height of 232 metres (761 feet) above mean sea level. The old city of Jodhpur is bounded by a stone wall which has eight massive gates. The gates are named as Nagauri Gate, Merati Gate, Sojati Gate, Jalori Gate, Siwanchi Gate and Chand Pol. Located almost in the center of Rajasthan
, Jodhpur is well connected by road, rail and air to the other important cities in the state.
History of Jodhpur District
Jodhpur District was founded by Rao Jodha, a Rajput
chief belonging to the Rathore clan in 1459. Rao Jodha appropriated the surrounding territories and established a state which came to be known as Marwar. Strategically located on the road linking Delhi to Gujarat, Jodhpur was made the capital of the state. The ancient forts, palaces, temples, havelis imparts an antique look to the city which makes it an exciting tourist destination. The rich cultural heritage of this erstwhile princely state is manifested in the exquisite sculpture of the monuments.The major attractions in the city are Umaid Bhavan Palace, Mehrangarh Fort
, Jaswant Thada, Osiyan Temple. Mandore, Kalinga Lake and Garden, Balsamand Lake, Dhawa (Dholi) forest area, Khichan and Osian are some major excursion sites.
Medieval History of Jodhpur District
During the Mughal
rule in India, the state became a fief. The rulers of Jodhpur paid allegiance to the Mughal rulers and at the same time enjoyed some internal autonomy. Jodhpur was a princely state during the British rule in India. In fact it was the largest state in Rajputana in terms of size. It was one of the most flourishing states because of the native merchant class, the Marwaris. When India became independent in 1947 the princely state of Jodhpur became a part of the union of India and subsequently of Rajasthan.
Economy of Jodhpur District
Jodhpur District has an industrial and an agricultural base. The major crops cultivated in the district are wheat and Mathania red chillies. The city is an important trading centre for wool and agricultural products. The major industries in the city are textiles, metal utensils, ink and sporting goods.
Education of Jodhpur District
A number of cottage industries are also present in Jodhpur which includes glass bangles, cutlery carpets and marble products. The handicraft and tourism are the two other flourishing industries of Jodhpur.
Demography of Jodhpur District
The Indian census report published in 2001 states that Jodhpur had a population of 846,408. Males constitute 53% of the population and females account for the remaining 47%. In Jodhpur, 14% of the population is less than six years of age. The average literacy rate of this ancient city is 67% which is higher than the national average literacy rate which is 59.5%. Out of it, the male literacy rate is 67% and the female literacy rate is 58%.
Culture of Jodhpur District
Jodhpuri cuisine also offers certain mouth watering delicacies which are a bonus for those visiting Jodhpur. Some sumptuous meals include Pyaaj kachori, Mawa Kachori, Makhaniya Lassi, kachar mircha curry and many more. The folk music
, the fairs and festivals and the flamboyant costumes of the people lends vibrancy to the city. Numerous festivities of Jodhpur marks the historic grandeur of the city and one such festival is the Marwar Festival. Shopping in Jodhpur can be a memorable experience where exclusive tie and dye fabric, embroidered jutis, velvet can be picked.
Tourism in Jodhpur District
Jodhpur District comprises of important attractions include the Mehrangarh fort situated at the heart of the city, Jaswant Thada a cluster of royal cenotaphs in white marble built in the memory of Maharaja Jaswant Singh
II, Umaid Bhawan
, Government museum and Rai-ka-Bag Palace.