(Last Updated on : 13/06/2013)
Jhusi or Jhunsi is a small settlement in the Allahabad
city of the northern Indian state, Uttar Pradesh
. It is located between 25.43ø North latitude and 81.93ø East longitude at an altitude of 76 metres (249 feet) above mean sea level. As per the Indian census report published in 2001, Jhusi had a population of 13,633. Males constitute 57% of the population and females account for the remaining 43%. In Jhusi, 13% of the population is less than six years of age. The literacy rate of Jhusi is 53% which is lower than the national average literacy rate of 59.5%. Out of it, the male literacy rate is 60% and the female literacy rate is 43%.
Jhusi, the Burnt Town
The name of the town Jhusi or Jhunsi has myths
associated with it. Its nomenclature is believed to have roots in the Hindi
term `jhulsana` which means `burnt`. Myths say that Jhusi was previously ruled by a cruel king Harbenga. His conspiracies for defaming a local saint
Sheikh Taqui Baba fetched him curses due to which his fort became topsy-turvy, hence the name Ulta Quila; and the town got burnt in a big fire. Another myth states that Guru Gorakhnath
who was the disciple of Matseyndra Nath
cursed the king. From various theories, it has been inferred that the town was burnt down and destroyed in 13th century CE, hence acquired the name Jhusi. The emigration of inhabiting Kshatriya
and Brahmana clans during medieval period
to distant places supports this theory.
History of Jhusi
Recent archeological findings have suggested that Jhusi or Jhunsi, previously known as Pratisthanpur, served as the capital of lunar dynasty
in the past. The high mounds found in Jhusi are the testaments of the fact that Jhusi or Jhunsi had once sheltered rulers of Kushana
period. Archeological excavations have furnished artifacts of sixth century B.C. which includes articles related to five cultural phases of history starting from catholic to medieval period. Jhusi or Jhunsi has been found to be continuously inhabited except in the phase between the end of Gupta period and the start of early medieval period and no evidence has been found for this gap yet. But researches suggest that, more excavations can furnish more artifacts that may rule out the existence of any gap and testify continuous settlements.
Tourism in Jhusi
Jhusi has interesting sites to captivate tourists. Places like Samudra Koop, Ulta Quila and Shiv Temple throw significant light on the intriguing historical foundations of Jhusi. A huge mound known as `kot` houses Samudra koop, Ulta Quila and a big walled well. Archeologists believe Samudra Koop to be built in the reign of Samudra Gupta
. The place was once famous for spirituality and peace and is enriched with ashrams and temples
. The UP tourism
is taking effective initiatives to develop and beautify the town as an inviting tourist place.
The fascinating history and attractive sites of Jhusi or Jhunsi is still unexplored by many people of India as well as the world. The rich heritage of this place, if exploited properly, can serve greatly to boost up the tourism and to unfold many clandestine tales of Indian history.