(Last Updated on : 31/08/2013)
Benefits of Meditation
are immense for every people like the people who are suffering from mental tension and chronic psychological diseases. The term meditation is a general term employed to illustrate a wide range of practices where calming the mind whilst relaxing the body is the main objective. Simply put, meditation is the time of contemplation; a marvellous journey to the unexplored centre of one's own self. The deeper states of meditation is achieved as one peels off the layers of attachments, tension, worries, tears and fears and becomes acutely aware and astutely intuitive. Meditation is therefore not just "thinking deep thoughts", on the contrary a continuous process where thinking ends.
Benefits of meditation are manifold however the real miracle of meditation is in the elusive healing transformation that happens, not only in the mind and emotions but also within the body. One of the primary benefits of meditation is, it allows one to think in a positive manner. Meditation has the most important ability to refill mental and emotional energy while enabling one to create new attitudes to respond life in a rather positive sense whilst offering him a clear, spiritual understanding of his own self.
Meditation energizes one's awareness, brining both peace and wisdom to a busy mind. The unlimited benefits of meditation help in expanding one's capacity to love- both nature as well as mankind. It also helps to dissolve many fears, which one might have. Meditation reveals the secret of consciousness and the treasures of the soul. It develops the power to become more alert and interactive with each other. But the greatest gift that comes with meditation is the gentle and strong glow of inner peace.
Meditation in the modern era is used to 'heal, repair and improve oneself physically, mentally and emotionally'. The benefits of meditation can thus be categorized into three distinct categories like physiological benefits of meditation, psychological benefits of meditation and most importantly the spiritual benefits of meditation.
Physiological Benefits of Meditation
Meditation has great health benefits. It is perhaps one of the best possible antidotes to fight with the stress of modern life. Meditation tames the mind while relaxing the body therefore it has been reckoned as a process to relax which in turn has immense health benefits. Meditation helps to retrain response mechanism so one becomes rather neutral while reacting in negative or adverse situation. The health benefits of meditation thus allow one to be more cantered whilst in total control of one's own self.
Another benefit of meditation is to strengthen the immune system. This in turn helps to ward off diseases before it affects the body. A meditative life further fosters other aspects of healthy life style.
* Reduces work load of the heart
* Lowers the levels of cortisol and lactate- chemicals associated with stress
* Reduces high blood pressure
* Reduces free radicals- unstable oxygen molecules that can cause tissue damage
* Increases skin resistance
* Improves breathing problems
* Rejuvenates flow of energy
* Enables one to get rid of addictions to cigarettes, drugs or alcohol
* Induces greater communication and interaction between the two hemispheres of the brain
* Increases immunity towards various diseases
* Reduces sleeping disorders
* Younger biological age. On standard measures of aging, long-term Transcendental Meditation (TM) practitioners (more than five years of practice) measured 12 years younger than their chronological age.
* Higher levels of DHEAS in the elderly. An additional sign of youthfulness through Transcendental Meditation (TM); lower levels of DHEAS are associated with aging.
* Deep physiological rest is shown by a distinct drop in the metabolism rate, as measured by the oxygen consumption by an individual in meditation, waking activity, sleep and hypnosis.
* Meditation can normalize a person's weight. An overweight person can lose weight through meditation and vice versa.
Psychological Benefits of Meditation:
The psychological benefit of meditation is also immense and all encompassing. Meditation supports to foster a healthy mind whilst allowing one to release mental states like worries, tension, tears and fears. Meditation purifies the mind and daily practice of meditation gradually replaces the negative thought process by positive attitudes.
The psychological benefits of meditation thus aid focusing the mind, to control over the flow of life force and indeed to help one in turning inside.
* Decreases anxiety.
* Decreases depression.
* Decreases irritability and moodiness.
* Meditation purifies one's character.
* Improves learning ability and memory.
* Increases self-actualization.
* Increases feelings of vitality and rejuvenation.
* Increases happiness.
* Increases emotional stability.
* Helps to develop will power.
* Meditation can make you build a relationship with God.
* It helps to attain spiritual growth, soul consciousness and enlightenment.
* Studies have also shown that those who meditate regularly react more quickly and more effectively to a stressful event.
* Memory recall is also enhanced by meditation.
Spiritual Benefits of Meditation:
On a mental level meditation develops inner peace, clarity, self-confidence, self-acceptance, reactivity, productivity and eventually greater self-actualization. . On a spiritual level it puts one in contact with the inner voice, with the inner strength and indeed with the inner spiritual wisdom and love.
Since ages, the enlightened cultures have sought the enormous benefits of meditation. They have discovered the awesome ability of meditation to momentarily separate one from the mundane material needs and supported him in establishing the eternal contact with something greater; to recognize his inner self.