Eden Gardens provides for the largest cricketing facility in the world but then it has also been in the news for the violence that the crowd has caused and the matches that have been spoiled due to it.
The Eden Gardens is situated in Kolkata, and the Eden Gardens Cricket Club was founded in the year 1864, this has also been called the Lords of Asia. One-day internationals started being held from February 1987, and after that a total of 20 One day international have been played at the venue, the last one being Sri Lanka Vs India played on 08 February 2007, where the match was washed out. The stadium underwent a change and it was modernized, covered stands were built all around, with a modern Club House and pavilion. The Cricket Association of Bengal is housed in the Club house, and there was a celebration that marked the CAB Diamond jubilee, where day night one-day international matches were played. Floodlights were installed for the better facility of lighting which aided in the celebration.
The Eden Gardens has an aura of its own and the lush green around is reminiscent of the English grounds. There has been ample changes from what it has been in the past and it's a glory is evident in India and abroad.
Eden Gardens is the home ground for Bengal Ranji Team and hosts the home matches for Bengal in every Ranji season. Since 2008 Eden Gardens is the home ground for Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) as well and hosts the seven home matches in the Indian Premier League (IPL) for the franchise.
In the wake of 2011 ICC World Cup this ground was completely renovated rendering an all new look. Presently the infrastructure is of international standards with state-of-the-art training and practise facilities. The old sitting arrangement, which was completely concrete structures, has given way to bucket seating facilities. This is comfortable and offers more leg space and suitable arm rest for the spectators.
Achievements at Eden Gardens:
* India won the Hero Cup final in this every ground.
* India holds the record for the highest Test score on the ground so far when they made 657-7 against Australia during the Series in 2000-01.
* Lowest total at the ground were also scored here when the West Indies restricted Indian to just 90.
* In 2000-01 Harbhajan Singh became the first Indian to take a Test hat trick against Australia here.
* VVS Laxman's 281 against the Australia in 2000/01 are the highest score here.
* Anil Kumble's 12/6 vs. the West Indies in the finals of the Hero Cup is the best by an Indian in an ODI.
* Saurav Ganguly, the Bengal boy, scored a century in second Test Match against Pakistan in the year 2007 series, which turned out to be his last test at Eden Gardens.
* BCCI's silver jubilee celebration match was played at Eden Gardens. India lost the match to Pakistan where Salman Butt played a blinder of a knock and steered his team to victory.
(Last Updated on : 22-05-2013)
|More Articles in Cricket Stadiums in India (35)|