The symptoms of measles start appearing 10 to 14 days after the virus infects a person. Common symptoms include dry cough, high fever, body aches, watery eyes, loss of appetite, runny nose and a rash.
There is no specific medicine that kills the measles virus. But to minimize complications and alleviate symptoms, one can try some simple and natural remedies.
Diet Therapy for Measles
Natural remedy for measles requires that the patient should be given juices of fresh fruits like orange and lemon on a regular basis. This is adequate as the patient suffers from lack of appetite during this period. He should be kept in a well ventilated room. As light has a damaging effect upon the eyes during measles, because of the weakened condition of the external eye tissues, the patient should have his eyes shaded or the room should have subdued light. As the condition improves, the patient can be placed on an all fruit diet for a further few days. Subsequently he may be allowed to gradually embark upon a well balanced diet.
Water Therapy for Measles
The cure should aim at bringing down the temperature and eliminating the toxins from the system. This can be achieved by administration of warm water enema every morning, application of mud packs on the abdomen twice a day in the morning and evening and repeated application of chest packs. Tepid water baths can be given every day to ease itching. Addition of extracts of neem leaves to this water will prove advantageous.
Home Remedies for Measles
Certain home remedies have been found beneficial in the treatment of measles.
1. The most helpful amongst these is the use of orange. When the digestive power of the body is critically hampered. Orange juice is the most ideal liquid food in this disease.
2. Neem has antibacterial and anti-allergenic properties, and hence it can be very helpful in relieving itching that often occurs with the rash. Apply fresh neem leaves paste on the affected skin area. Let it dry on its own and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
3. The juice of lemon is another medication. It also makes an efficient thirst-quenching drink in measles.
4. Turmeric is beneficial in the treatment of measles. Raw roots of turmeric should be dried in the sun and ground to a fine powder. This powder, mixed with a few drops of honey and the juice of a few bitter gourd leaves, should be given to the patient afflicted from measles. Bitter gourd has strong antioxidant properties that helps combat various symptoms of measles. It also has vitamin C, zinc, iron, potassium and dietary fibre which are required to boost immunity and speed up the healing process.
5. Powdered liquorice (mulethi) has been found valuable in relieving the cough, typical of measles.
6. The use of barley water has proved useful in case of troublesome cough in measles. This water should be taken regularly sweetened with the newly drawn oil of sweet almonds.
7. Coconut water has nutrients that help to cleanse and re-hydrate the body which makes it very effective against the measles virus and coconut flesh is rich in anti-oxidants.
8. Garlic is an effective natural cure for measles. Powder the cloves of garlic and leave to stand for 15 minutes then mix with honey. It may be better to lightly simmer the sliced garlic first to avoid an upset stomach.
Children having measles should not be allowed to mix with others. They should be given absolute rest. Hygienic condition along with the above mentioned treatment will lead to speedy recuperation. Medications should be strictly avoided.
Naturopathy and Diseases
Homeopathy for Measles
(Last Updated on : 02-06-2016)
|More Articles in Naturopathy and Diseases (100)|