Establishment of Osmania Medical College
Osmania Medical College was established in the year if 1846 with the initial name of Hyderabad Medical School. The college was originally affiliated to the Osmania University of Hyderabad and is presently affiliated to the NTR University of Health Sciences (NTRUHS), Vijayawada. The college was established by Dr. William Maclean for teaching European Medicine in Urdu language, native youths of Deccan. In 1852 the first batch of students graduated from the Osmania Medical College (OMC), Hyderabad.
History of Osmania Medical College
Osmania Medical College (OMC), Hyderabad has a rich history of pioneering medical inventions. Chloroform was used as an anaesthetic for the first time in OMC, Hyderabad. Apart from that, the causative agent of malaria was also elucidated by Sir Ronald Ross, who founded the Sir Ronald Ross Institute of Tropical and Communicable Diseases (popular by name Fever Hospital) affiliated to Osmania. The OMC, Hyderabad is famous for being the only medical college in India where each medical speciality has a separate training hospital. It is also the only medical college in South India that offers a postgraduate course in endocrinology. There are several hospitals associated with the Osmania Medical College (OMC), Hyderabad as the teaching hospitals. The hospitals include Osmania General Hospital, Government Maternity Hospital, Niloufer Hospital, Sir Ronald Ross Institute of Tropical and Communicable Diseases, Government Maternity Hospital, Nayapul, Mehdi Nawaz Jung Institute of Oncology, Sarojini Devi Eye Hospital, Government ENT Hospital, the Institute of Mental Health, Errgadda, Government Chest Hospital, Rural Health Centre, Patancheru and also most of the Outreach hospitals surrounding Hyderabad.
Hospital in Osmania Medical College
A hospital was built within the premise of the Osmania Medical College (OMC), Hyderabad in 1920 and the medical school was also converted into a medical college in the same year. In 1926, the new Osmania General Hospital was completed and was also shifted from Afzalgunj buildings into the new premises. The medical college was taken over by the Osmania University and was put under a new Principal unconnected with the Government Department, in 1926. The college got recognition from the Royal college of Surgeons, England for primary FRCS. The Indian Army Medical Department also recognised the college for admission to the commissioned ranks, in the same year. The Medical Council of India (MCI) gave recognition to the Osmania Medical College (OMC), Hyderabad in 195. In 1952, the Government of Hyderabad took over the administrative control of the medical college from the University. The postgraduate courses in Medicine were introduced in the OMC, Hyderabad in 1955.
Course offered by Osmania Medical College
Osmania Medical College (OMC), Hyderabad offers quite a few undergraduate, postgraduate and super speciality courses including the main undergraduate course of MBBS. The other undergraduate courses that the OMC, Hyderabad offers include BPT and BDS. The postgraduate courses being offered in the OMC, Hyderabad include the clinical courses like M.D. in Internal Medicine, Paediatrics, Radiology, Anaesthesiology, Dermatology, Pulmonology/Chest Medicine, & Psychiatry, and M.S. in General Surgery, Orthopaedics, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Ophthalmology, & Otorhinolaryngology (ENT). The college also offers some postgraduate diploma courses like PG Diploma in Anaesthesiology, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Ophthalmology, Otorhinolaryngology, Paediatrics, & Radiology. The non-clinical courses that the OMC offers in the postgraduate level are M.D. in Physiology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Pathology, Microbiology, & Forensic Medicine, and M.S. in Anatomy. Apart from the undergraduate and postgraduate degree and diploma courses, the OMC also offers some super speciality courses like D. M. in Cardiology, Endocrinology, Gastroenterology, Nephrology, & Neurology, and M.Ch. in Cardiothoracic surgery, Neurosurgery, Plastic Surgery, & Urology.