Most salads are served cold, although some are served warm. The salads that are served warm are often termed as Casserole. Salads are amongst the many accompaniments one can find with an Indian meal.
Salads may be served at any point during a meal, such as:
Types of Salads
There are various types of salads that can be prepared depending on the fruits and vegetables used and also the method in which it is prepared. Different types of salads are as follows:
The green salad is famously known as "garden salad". It is composed of leafy vegetables such as lettuce varieties, spinach etc. Green salads are considered as common diet food due to their low caloric density. They are often garnished with nuts.
Vegetables other than greens are also used in this salad. Common raw vegetables used in the salad include cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, onions, spring onions, red onions, carrots, celery, and radishes.
A bound salad can be composed or tossed. They are assembled with thick sauces such as mayonnaise; hung curd etc. potato salad is a classic example of bound salad. It is also used as sandwich fillings.
Main Course Salad
Main course salad is also known as ‘dinner salad’ which mainly contains cooked food. These salads are basically served warm.
Fruit salads are made of fruit and include the fruit cocktail that can be made fresh or from canned fruit.
Dessert salads are often sweet. Common variants are made with gelatin or whipped cream; e.g. jello salad, pistachio salad, and ambrosia. Salads are sometimes garnished with ingredients like nuts, cherry tomatoes, various cheeses, berries, seeds etc. Color considerations are sometimes addressed by using edible flowers, red radishes, carrots, various colors of peppers, and other colorful ingredients.
1. South Indian Style Salads Ingredients
For Salad Dressing
1. Add the carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, green chilly, cilantro, pepper and lemon juice in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
2. Set aside.
3. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a heavy pan or skillet. Add the mustard seeds, black gram dal, halved red chilli, asafoetida, and a few curry leaves.
4. When the mustard seeds splutter, add this mixture to the vegetables. Now add the lemon juice, and mix thoroughly.
5. Serve at room temperature.
2. North Indian Style salad Ingredients:
1. Add all the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly.
2. Set aside.
3. Serve at room temperature.
3. South West Indian Style Salad Ingredients:
1. Mix the sugar into the chopped fruits and keep aside.
2. Grind the coconut with the red chilli (es) and a little water. When almost done, add the mustard seeds.
3. Grind for a few more seconds till the mustard seeds are crushed. Add the coconut paste to the fruits with salt and mix well.
4. Serve cold or at room temperature
4. Common Salad Recipe:
1. Take big plate and arrange salad leaves.
2. Add shredded cabbage, onions, carrot, cucumber, and radish.
3. Now arrange tomato, banana, apples, and guavas.
4. Sprinkle salt and chaat masala. Pour lemon juice.
5. Sprouted Moong dal Salad:
5. Sprout Salad Ingredients:
1. Gently mix all the ingredients except for the roasted peanuts in a salad bowl. Keep refrigerated.
2. Mix in the roasted peanuts just before serving.
3. Serve cold.
6. Potato Salad Ingredients
1. Boil the potatoes but do not make them too soft.
2. Cool and peel them.
3. Dice the potatoes
4. Blanch spinach in hot water for 10 secs and immediately refresh them in ice cold water, then chop them coarsely.
5. Crush the garlic cloves and mix it with the yogurt and lemon juice.
6. Pour the yogurt mixture on the diced potatoes
7. Mix the chopped spinach with the potato yogurt mixture.
8. Sprinkle finely chopped chives on it.
9. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Chickpea Salad Ingredients:
1. In a bowl add boiled chickpea, potato, tomato and green chilli.
2. Add lime juice, black salt and common salt as per the taste.
3. Mix all the ingredients well.
4. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.
(Last Updated on : 11-12-2014)
|More Articles in Indian Food (62)|