(Last Updated on : 26/06/2013)
The Government Botanical Garden at Ootacamund,
Tamilnadu was founded on the year 1847. The Garden spans an area of around twenty-two hectares and situated at the foothills of Doddabetta peak. The Botanical Garden of Ooty
has a terraced layout and divided into several sections.
The botanical garden was created by John Sullivan, Collector of the District of Coimbatore in the year 1819. The initial layout was designed by Marquis of Tweedale during the late 1840s.
The Botanical garden of Ooty
contains about One thousand species, both exotic and indigenous variety of plants, shrubs, creepers, trees and herbal plants. In the center of the garden there is a fossilized tree trunk, which is estimated to be twenty million years old. The garden includes several lawns, lily ponds, beds of flowers, ferns laid out in an Italian style, several plots of flowering plants and a group of various kinds of medicinal plants. The rose garden situated in the Ooty Botanical Garden
has the largest collection of roses in the country.