Palace of Nashipur or Nashipur Rajbari - Informative & researched article on Palace of Nashipur or Nashipur Rajbari
 Indianetzone: Largest Free Encyclopedia of India with thousand of articlesIndian Monuments


in  
 Art & Culture|Entertainment|Health|Reference|Sports|Society|Travel
Forum  | Free E-magazine  | RSS Feeds  
Indian Crafts|Indian Monuments|Indian Dances|Indian Festivals|Indian Paintings|Indian Photography|Indian Sculpture
Home > Art & Culture > Indian Monuments > Palaces of India > Palace of Nashipur or Nashipur Rajbari
Palace of Nashipur or Nashipur Rajbari
Palace of Nashipur or Nashipur Rajbari, better known as Nashipur Rajbati in Murshidabad District of West Bengal, is one of the major tourist attraction spots in the state.
 
 Palace of Nashipur or Nashipur Rajbari was the royal palace of the Nashipur Raj Family. The grand palace of Nashipur Raj family is situated in Nashipur just adjacent to the palace built by Raja Debi Singha. The current palace of Nashipur was built by Raja Kirti Chandra Singha Bahadur in the year 1865.

Nashipur Rajbari was the court place of Debi Singha who is historically renowned for being the tax collector under the British East India Company. Debi Singha arrived from Panipat now in Delhi for the purpose of trading. It is said that he is known for being a Tax collector. He would severely punish those peasants who failed to pay taxes on time to him. After a trial, he succeeded in getting an appointment in the Revenue Department under Dewan Reza Khan. Gradually, Debi Singha was able to exert his influence among the people of British East India Company. After the years, Debi Singha became head of the Revenue department. Debi Singha, was known as the founder of the Nashipur Raj Family.

Palace of Nashipur or Nashipur Rajbari Debi Singha came to Murshidabad District with his father Diwali Singh just after the Battle of Plassey, which was happened in the year 1757 AD, between the British East India Company and the Nawab Of Bengal, Siraj-Ud-Daulah. The Governor General of Bengal, Warren Hastings appointed Devi Singha, the founder of Nashipur Raj family as a secretary to the Provincial Council. He was conferred with the title of "Raja" and later Maharaja.

The nephew of Maharaja Debi Singh, Raja Udmant Singh built a temple complex in Nashipur. The present palace was built by Raja Udmant`s grandnephew Raja Kirti Chand in 1856. Maharaja Ranajit Sinha who succeeded his father Raja Kirti Chand was elected chairman of Murshidabad municipality and a member of Bengal Legislative Council.

Nashipur Raj Estate was one of the bigger Zamindaries in Bengal. The Zamindary covered large portions of Birbhum District, Murshidabad District and Malda District in the present Indian state of West Bengal. A major portion of the Rajsahi District now in Bangaldesh and small portions in the Pabana District and Bogura District in the present country of Bangladesh was under the rule of Nashipur Raj Family.

The custom of primogeniture was followed in the Raj family. The title of "Raja Bahadur" was made hereditary in the Raj family in a grand investiture ceremony at Delhi on 16th March 1917, in which a Sanad was presented to Maharaja Ranajit Sinha by the then Governor General of India - Lord Chelmsford.

After the death of Maharaja Ranajit Sinha in 1918, Bhupendra Narayan Sinha, the eldest among the four sons of the late Maharaja Ranjit Singha, succeeded him as the next descendant of Nashipur Raj royal administrative pillar. Raja Bahadur Bhupendra Narayan Sinha was a minister in undivided Bengal in 1928-29 under the Chief Ministership of Fazlul Huq. During his life time he held various important positions in the Government of undivided Bengal. The second youngest brother Kumar Nripendra was a member of the Imperial Council in Delhi.

Palace of Nashipur is often referred to as a miniature version of the Hazarduari Palace of Murshidabad for the similarity of architectural features. Among them are the grand flight of stairs and the large vertical standing columns. Inside the palace there was also a huge hall for entertainment, where classical dance personalities like Hirabai performed there.

It is said that Lord Curzon, once the Governor- General of Bengal during the time of Boycott and Swadeshi Movement in the year 1905, referred to it as "a princely abode" and said it to be better than their palace.

The family deities which were worshiped are kept there and still worshiped by the family members. The most important festival is Jhulan Yatra, which is held every year for a maximum of five days in the month of August and ends on Raksha Bandhan. At this time, a local fair is organized in the palace`s compound which is very popular in both Nashipur and Murshidabad.

(Last Updated on : 17/08/2013)
More Articles in Palaces of India  (18)
Recently Updated Articles in Indian Monuments
Anchetty Durgam Fort
Anchetty Durgam Fort is located in the district of Krishnagiri in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
Zangla Monastery
Zangla Monastery is situated in Zangla in Kargil district of Jammu and Kashmir.
Likir Monastery
Likir monastery is a Buddhist monastery located in Ladakh district, Jammu and Kashmir. It is one of the oldest monasteries in India.
Enchey Monastery
Enchey Monastery located in Sikkim was built in 1909 above Gangtok. The monastery belongs to the Nyingma order of Vajrayana Buddhism.
Cave Monastery
Cave Monastery is a small, old Buddhist monastery situated in Shergol village, in Kargil district of Jammu and Kashmir.
E-mail this Article | Post a Comment
Forum
Forum on Indian Monuments
Free E-magazine
Subscribe to Free E-Magazine on Art & Culture
 
 
Palace of Nashipur or Nashipur Rajbari - Informative & researched article on Palace of Nashipur or Nashipur Rajbari
Sitemap
Contact Us   |   RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2008 Jupiter Infomedia Ltd. All rights reserved including the right to reproduce the contents in whole or in part in any form or medium without the express written permission of
Jupiter Infomedia Ltd.