(Last Updated on : 04/07/2014)
Miranda House is a residential womens college and also one of the leading institutions for women affiliated to Delhi University. The College was established in 1948 by Sir Maurice Gwyer, the then Vice-Chancellor. Thronged with roomy verandahs, Miranda House is situated within the campus of Delhi University constructed entirely out of red bricks. Closely resembling the educational institutes of the colonial era, Walter George, the famous architect
had planned its design. In the past 5 decades, a multiple of buildings have been incorporated to the original structure. The Miranda House building has been declared a heritage building due to its pristine grandeur.
The college is a centre of academic excellence. Not only that, Miranda House provides scope to express themselves and nurture students view, responsive to societal changes. Also its strategic vicinity to campuses of other Delhi colleges helps them to take part in all their literary and educational events.
Miranda House also houses a hostel, considered one of the ancient most residential buildings of Delhi University. Laid out in the shape of a quadrangle, the hostel is encircled by stunning gardens lined with bottle palm trees. The design of the building is such that it bestows enough privacy to the students. The dining hall is a special attraction of Miranda House with exquisite tables and benches placed along a large hall. The stretch of ground that curves round the hostel towards the cafeteria is cleared for a wonderful lawn and a rock garden that has become a piece of attraction especially during bright winter days.
The efficient departments of Miranda House include- Botany, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Elementary Education, English, Geography, Hindi
, History, Mathematics, Modern Indian Languages, Philosophy
, Physics, Physical Education, Political Science, Sanskrit, Sociology and Zoology. The College offers degrees in various disciplines like humanities and science, which has a total strength of more than two thousand five hundred students. One can pursue B. A. Programme, B. A. Programme with Functional Hindi, B. A. Honours in subjects like English, Hindi, Economics, Political Science, Sociology, History, Philosophy, Geography, Mathematics, Sanskrit, Bengali, Music. Science aspirants also can enroll in Bachelors in Science (Hons.) course in subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, Mathematics. One can also opt for B.Sc in subjects like Life Sciences and Applied Physical Science. B. El. Ed. is a 4 -Year Course that suits the students as well. In fact the enthusiastic students are admired by the group of famous faculty, highly appreciated for their intellect, merit, versatility and also for their devotion to make education a weapon for eradicating social odds. Miranda House has produced women of substance, who have achieved marks of excellence in different professional fields that, at large, have benefited the society as a whole.
Keeping at par with the trend of globalisation and its subsequent effects on the spheres of economy and education, the University Grants Commission has reoriented its entire educational system, to be more rational and career centric. The students are trained in professional manner so that they can be well placed in industries and also in matters of self-employment. To be in the trend, Miranda House also has started a special Add-on Course on Tourism. It is carrier-prone that any student can opt for, while simultaneously continuing with their degree level education. This course has the affiliation of University Grants Commission and is also self-financed. In addition, several more short-term career oriented courses have been inducted for the benefits of the students of Miranda House. These include- One Year Certificate Course in foreign languages like French, German and Spanish. It was started in association with the Department of Germanic & Romance Studies, Delhi University. It also offers a course in Russian language jointly with Delhi Universitys Department of Slavonic and Finno-Ugrian Studies.
Few adjunct courses of Miranda House have gained popularity amongst the student fraternity. In association with the School of Convergence, the Department of English and the Film Club of Miranda House, have initiated a 1-month intensive course on varied subjects linked to Media Studies like Film Appreciation, Photography, Print Journalism, Television Journalism.
Other sections, like the Department of Physics and Computer Science, offer Short Duration Computer-based Courses on several themes. Students can gain acquaintance with wide variety software applications like desktop publishing, improvement of multimedia presentations like video clips and animation, and advancement of e-education possessions. Operations Research-Course Content also proves to be an effective one.
In order to promote development of personality as a whole, Miranda House encourages its students to take part in several extracurricular activities. Adventure Club-Anukriti, the Hindi Dramatic Society; Ariels, the English Dramatic Society; Adwitiya-The Fine Arts Society; MH Vatavaran, The Environment Society; Jigyasa, The Quiz Society; Gandhi Study Circle; Music Dance and Choreography Society; Film Club; Debating society have been formed, to inculcate this tradition of cultural display. Co-curricular activities like sports, participation in projects of NCC and NSS also are given due importance by the Miranda House authorities.
Miranda House possesses an asset in the form of a well-equipped library which came into existence since the day of its foundation. In the beginning it was put up in a large hall that consisted of stack-room and also a reading room. With the need of time, due to increment in the number of books, a more spacious library became the need of time. The library was transferred to a new building in the month of August, 1974. It is a two storied building, consisting of all that is required for a full fledged library viz. deposit-counter, issue-of-books counter, stack hall, reserve section, reading hall, teachers' reading room, magazine section, and administrative section. In 1988, the magazine section was inaugurated on the 2nd floor of the library building.
Some highlights in the history of Miranda House can be enumerated in the formation of- creation of Students Union in 1949; publication of the first issue of bilingual magazine in 1951-52; first issue of the college magazine (bilingual) published. At that time, the old students association also was formed. Miranda House was the first women's college in the country to have started gliding classes in 1957-58. B.Sc General was started in the college in 1963-64. In 1964-65 Miranda House took membership of WUS. In the same year the Tamil section of the college magazine was begun. Sanskrit department of the college magazine began in 1966-67. In 1967-68, the Bengali section was inaugurated. N.S.S began functioning in the college in 1970-71. In 1978-79 the Physics laboratory was built. Computer Science was introduced as an elective subject in B.Sc. Gen. in 1984-85. In the same year Secretarial Practice and Office Management course was incorporated in B.A. Pass course level. Arts Museum was constructed in 1987-88. In 1989-90, the Physics and Chemistry laboratories put up in the New Science Block houses began functioning. Students' Common Room underwent renovation during 1992-93. Functional Hindi was inserted as an elective subject in BA Pass course in 1995-96; 1997-98 is considered a landmark, since it was the Golden Jubilee Year of Miranda House.