Early Life of A.R. Antulay
A.R. Antulay was born on 9th February 1929 to father Shri Hafiz Abdul Gafoor and mother Zohrabi in the village Ambet District, Raigad, Maharashtra. After appearing for B.A examination, he studied Barrister-At -Law, Educated at Bombay University and Lincoln's Inn, London. He is married to Nargis Antulay and the couple one son and three daughters.
Political Career of A.R. Antulay
A.R. Antulay began his career as an active social worker in 1945. As a social worker his notable achievements include construction of (i) a jetty on the bank of Savitri river, Bankot (Khadi) Creek through 'Shramdan'. He also worked with own hands along with the villagers of Ambet; (ii) road between the village Ambet and Lonere Goregaon (then in Kulaba, now in Raigad district) to connect his village to NH-17. He had a keen interest in the Social causes like service of the weaker section of the society and upliftment of the unfortunates.
A.R. Antulay has also served as the former chief minister of the state of Maharashtra. He represented the Kolaba constituency of the state of Maharashtra, India as the Congress M.P. He took an active role in forming of Rashtriya Chemicals and Fertilizers which is an Indian public sector company at Alibag, the main town in his constituency. Presently he is the member of 14th Lok Sabha and serves as the Union Minister of minority Affairs of India.
The positions held by him are sequentially;
* Chief, Youth Congress, Maharashtra (1960-62);
* President, District Congress Committee, Maharashtra (1962);
* General Secretary, P.C.C., Maharashtra (for seven years), (1962-69);
* Member, Maharashtra Legislative Assembly (1962-76) and (1980-89);
* Chairman, Committee on Non-official Bills and Resolutions, Maharashtra Legislative Assembly (1962);
* Chairman, Committee on Subordinate Legislation, Maharashtra Legislative Assembly (1967);
* Chairman, Estimates Committee, Maharashtra Legislative Assembly (1967);
* Minister of State, Law and Judiciary, Ports and Fisheries etc.,
* Government of Maharashtra and Elevated to Cabinet rank Minister of Law & Judiciary, Building, Communication and Housing, Government of Maharashtra (1969-1976); Member, Rajya Sabha (1976-1980);
* Chief Minister, Government of Maharashtra (1980-1982);
* Elected to 9th Lok Sabha (1989);
* Re-elected to 10th Lok Sabha (2nd term) (1991);
* Chairman, Committee on Public Undertakings (1992-93);
* Member, Standing Committee, Ministry of Railways (1993-94);
* Chairman, Joint Parliamentary Committee on Facilities and Remuneration to Members of Parliament (1993-95);
* Union Cabinet Minister, Health and Family Welfare (also held additional charge of Water Resources during Feb.-May 1996) (June 1995 - May 1996);
* Elected to 11th Lok Sabha (3rd term) (1996);
* Re-elected to 14th Lok Sabha (4th term) (2004);
* Cabinet Minister of Minority Affairs (29 Jan.2006-onwards).
A.R. Antulay as an Author
A.R. Antulay has written many books that are listed below:
* Parliamentary Privilege (compilation of his five articles published in the Times of India); Mahajan Report - Uncovered
* Appointment of a Chief Justice;
* Democracy- Parliamentary or Presidential (Compilation of his speeches and interviews), on media's report of his involvement in corruption, he had to resign from the post of Chief Minister of Maharashtra.
(Last Updated on : 03-04-2012)
|More Articles in Indian Politicians (106)|