(Last Updated on : 29/11/2013)
Bridal jewellery is one of the most significant elements in Indian weddings. Bridal jewellery basically helps in completing the attire and overall look of an Indian bride. Bridal jewellery is of different types. It includes attractive necklace
, bracelets, bangles, or earrings and more. In fact, it is very true that bridal jewellery happens to be one of the integral parts of Indian wedding. Generally, bridal jewelleries are made of gold
, silver, diamond
and even platinum. And it entirely depends on the tastes and likings of the bride and her parents. Budget is another crucial factor that determines the making of bridal jewellery. A large number of options are available nowadays regarding the selection of bridal jewelleries. Like for instance, if the budget is a bit high then one can also opt for designer jewellery
Types of Bridal Jewellery in India
Bridal jewellery can be of diverse styles and of varied types depending on the occasion. Indian weddings an elaborate process and basically comprises several occasions. The pre wedding functions are mainly include engagement, sangeet and mehendi ceremony
. And for these occasions, the brides usually select light and simple jewellery. For these pre-wedding occasions, a simple gold chain with attractive pendants and gold earrings studded with some precious stones are appropriate. Heavy gold jewelleries are usually worn by the bride on the special wedding day. The bride is usually fully covered with jewellery. In present times, fashion jewellery that is perfectly complimenting the outfit has become more popular. People are also designing their wedding jewellery.
Interestingly, bridal jewellery also differs as per the diverse traditions and styles of different communities of the country. For instance, heavy bridal jewellery with some coloured stones matches the traditions of a conservative Punjabi family and on the other hand diamond jewelleries are preferred by Marwari and Sindhi people. One also has the varied options of designer jewellery that is available in various metals, settings and stylish shapes. Extensive varieties of stones are nowadays largely used into bridal jewelleries in different colours, and shapes. It includes stones like ruby
, baguettes, amethyst
. Today, contemporary designs that are sleek and stylish are mostly preferred by the brides nowadays as those are wearable in all occasions. There is a need to revamp the bride from head to toe for the perfect complete look on her special day and jewelleries do all the magic.
Main Bridal Jewelleries in Indian Wedding
The various popular types of bridal jewellery include Maangtika, Necklace, Earrings, Nose Ring
, Bangles, Waistband, Anklets
, and Toe rings. These jewelleries are mentioned as follows -
- It is stylish bridal jewellery, which adores the bride's centre parting. Different styles and designs of Maangtika with colourful gemstones are available. This centrepiece is an elegant piece of jewellery.
- The reference of earrings depends on the style and colour of the bridal wear. Like for instance, if the bridal attire is in shades of red or maroon or copper brown, then one should prefer gold jewelleries. If it is in pastel colour, delicate pearls and diamonds will suit the best.
- Nose rings are another elegant bridal jewellery piece and it must compliment the colour and style of bridal earring. Nose rings are conventionally called as 'Nath'. Nose rings have become a fashion statement today.
- Necklace is one of the most important and eye catchy bridal jewellery. It is chosen in accordance with designs and styles of the earrings as well as the nose ring.
- Bangles as well as the bracelets are symbols of rich Indian culture and traditions. Exquisite varieties of bangles are chosen by the brides. Bangle bracelets are also very popular and one must remember that the designs of bangles should match the styles of necklace and earrings.
- Wedding cannot be completed without a ring, which is worn in the index finger. If one is selecting gold jewelleries for the special day then gold ring is perfectly fine.
- Waist band is worn with both saris as well as lehengas.
Anklets And Toe rings
- Anklets and toe rings are available in different stylish designs and shapes. It gives a stylish look to the bride's toe flaunting her feet in an elegant manner.
For the summer season, gemstones are perfectly suitable and for the winter season heavy gold work is preferred. Thus, it can be aptly said that bridal jewellery wonderfully adds a charming effect to the entire look of the bride and also makes her look gorgeous.