History of Jalore Fort
Historical records suggest that the Jalore Fort has been built between the 8th and 10th centuries and was ruled by the Paramara branch in the 10th century. The Jalore line of Chauhans was established by Kirtipala, the youngest son of Alhana, ruler of Nadol. The fort changed several hands and came under the Mughal Emperor, Alaudin Khilji in 1311.
Architecture of Jalore Fort
Perched atop a steep and perpendicular hill, the Jalore Fort commands the town from rocky outcrop 336 m high fortified with a wall and bastions with cannon mounted upon them. The fort has 4 gigantic gates however it is approachable only from one side. The approach to the fort is from the north, up a steep, slippery road through 3 rows of fortification to a single rampart wall about 20 ft high. The fort is built on the lines of traditional Hindu architecture.
Built into the front wall are 4 mighty gates or pols that lead into the fort- The Suraj Pol, Dhruv Pol, Chand Pol and the Sire Pol. The Suraj Pol or the ‘Sun gate’ is built so that the first rays of the morning sun enter through this gateway. It is an impressive gate with a small watch tower built over it. The Dhruv Pol is rather simple looking compared to Suraj Pol.
Currently desolate, the Jalore Fort has several Hindu and Jain temples within the fort premises along with Islamic mosques. The cut stone walls of the fort are still intact at many places. There are some drinking water tanks in the fort.
Visiting Information on Jalore Fort
The Jalore station is the nearest railway station at a distance of 2.4 km from the fort and the Jodhpur Airport is the closest airport at a distance of 145 km from the Jalore Fort.
(Last Updated on : 30-10-2019)
|More Articles in Monuments of Rajasthan (72)|