History of Rohida Fort
Rohida Fort was built during Yadava period. According to the inscription on the third gate, Mohammed Adil Shah of Bijapur had repaired this fort in 1656. Shivaji Maharaj won the fort from the hands of Bandal-Deshmukh of Rohida in a close battle. This fort was among the 23 forts that Shivaji handed over to Mughals during the Treaty of Purandar in 1665. In 1670, this fort was again captured by Shivaji Maharaj. Further Mughals captured this fort. This fort was under the control of Pantsachiv of Bhor State till the Indian independence.
Structure of Rohida Fort
Rohida Fort has three gates on the main entrance path. The main entrance gate has a Ganesh Patti and Miharab. There is a rock-cut water cistern near the second gate. There are idols of Lion and Sharabha on the second gate. The third gate is reached after climbing 57 steps. There are idols of heads of elephants on both side and rock-cut scripture in Farsi language and Marathi on the outer side of the gate. There is a temple of Rohidamalla in good condition inside the fort. There are seven Bastions on the fort; they are Shirawale Buruj, Patane Buruj, Damugade Buruj, Waghjai Buruj, Fatte Buruj and Sadar Buruj.
Visiting Information of Rohida Fort
The base village of the fort is Bajarwadi which is 7 km from Bhor. The trekking path starts from the hillock west of Bajarwadi. The trekking route is very safe and wide. There are no trees on the trekking route. It takes about an hour to reach the entrance gate of the fort.
|More Articles in Forts in Maharashtra (113)|