History of Worli
Worli or Varli or Warlee got its name from the medieval historical accounts. Later in modern era, Worli is spotted as hi-tech urban city of Mumbai, Maharashtra.
History of Worli
Worli was one of the original seven islands that constituted the city of Mumbai, Maharashtra. Although primarily a fishing village, Worli Fort, a British fort of late medieval era that is now in ruins, is located there. Worli has a mosque, the Haji Ali Dargah, on a rock in the sea, which was connected at low-tide to the island by a natural causeway. The island of Worli was connected to the main island of Bombay in the year 1784, with the completion of the Hornby Vellard. The Hornby Vellard is now known as Lala Lajpat Rai Road. In the year 1842, the Love Grove sewage pumping station was completed. It has special mitre gates opening to the sea, which are opened during periods of low tide. The pumping station is built on Dr Annie Besant Road which was formerly known as the Love Grove Road. British East India Company had built four bungalows for its administrative heads on the stretch ahead of the Love Grove Pumping Station back in the 1930s. These bungalows are now replaced by the Atria Mall.
Geography of Worli
Worli is a the Southern part of Mumbai which extends from Haji Ali to Prabhadevi. It is bounded by the Arabian Sea to the west and the neighbourhoods of Haji Ali to the south, Mahalaxmi to the east and Prabhadevi to the north. The nearest railway station to the neighbourhood is Mahalaxmi and Elphinstone is also the nearest railway station from Worli. With the commissioning of the Sealink, Worli Sea-Face is now better connected with Western Suburbs.
Economy of Worli
Worli has been one of the busiest office areas in Mumbai since the late 1770's. The first major development in Worli was the Shivsagar Estate located on Dr Annie Besant Road.
Tourism in Worli
Tourism in Worli includes the late medieval era fort- Worli Fort and the modern engineering landmark- Bandra Worli Sea Link. The Worli-Bandra Sealink (is also known as the Rajiv Gandhi Sagar Setu) is located on Worli Sea Face. It was built in 2009 and the island of Worli to Bandra across the Arabian Sea. It first opened in July 2009. Now it is going to be expanded with another Bandra-Worli Sea Link to Lala Rajpat Rai Road and Marine Drive or Netaji Shubhas Road.