(Last Updated on : 23/04/2016)
Shikanji is a type of Indian beverage
which is basically a traditional limeade or lemonade from North India and Pakistan. It is also known by Limun Paani or Nimbu Pani, Shikanjvi, Shikanjbi and Shikanjbeen. It is a summer cooler containing loads of Vitamin C. While the base ingredients include lemon or lime juice, ginger, ice and water, Shikanji often contains other ingredients such as salt, pepper and cumin. Shikanji recipe is one of the easiest summer drinks of India. It is light, refreshing, with citrus flavoring and fragrant due to the spices and mint.
Lemonade is a mixture of normal water, lemon juice and sugar with a pinch of salt. When spices like black salt, roasted cumin powder, black pepper powder and ginger are added to the basic lemonade drink, it is called Shikanji.
Ingredients for Shikanji
Water - 2 cups
Lemon Juice - 2 tbsp
Ginger - 1 small chunk
Sugar - 3 tbsp
Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Black Salt - 1/2 tsp
Black Pepper Powder - a pinch
A few Ice Cubes
Mint Leaves for garnish
Method for Shikanji:
1. Take two cups of water in a bowl.
2. Add the lemon juice, ginger, sugar, black salt, cumin powder and pepper powder.
3. Mix well till the sugar dissolves.
4. Adjust the sugar and black salt as per your taste.
5. Pour the Shikanji into glasses.
6. Add ice cubes and garnish with mint leaves.
7. Serve immediately.
Notes for Shikanji:
1. One can also chill the Shikanji in the refrigerator.
2. This is a traditional recipe, however people can experiment using mint leaves, rose
3. Instead of water, one can use soda for Soda Shikanji.
4. A pinch of green cardamom powder can be added for variation.
5. Jaggery syrup or honey can also be used instead of sugar.
This article is a stub. You can enrich by adding more information to it. Send your Write Up to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ayurvedic Diet for Summer