Vindhya Pradesh is a former state of India that was established in the year 1948 after the country gained independence from the rule of the British Empire in India
. The state was formed with the territories of the erstwhile princely states of India in the eastern section of the former Central India Agency. Vindhya Pradesh state covered an area of 23,603 square miles. The territory was named after the Vindhya Mountain Range
that which runs through the interior of the former Indian state and the capital of the state was Rewa. It was situated between Madhya Pradesh
in the south and Uttar Pradesh
in the north and the state of Datia
to the west. The region was also bounded by the Madhya Bharat
History of Vindhya Pradesh
The former state of Vindhya Pradesh was created on 12th March 1948 and was instated on 4th April 1948. Around 35 princely states of India unified in order to form the Vindhya Pradesh state. These princely states were Maihar state, Charkharee state, Chhatarpur state, Bijawar state, princely state of Baraundha, Baonee state, Ajaygarh state, Orchha state, Datia state, Panna state, Rewa state, Gaurihar state, Garhaulee state, Dhukhai state, Bijona state, Baihath state, Maisundha state, Beri state, Banka Paharee state, Alipura state, Samthar state, Nagod state, Tauree Fatehpur state, Taraun Pathraulee state, Princely state of Sohawal, Sareela state, Paldeo state, Pahraa state, Naigwan rewai state, Lugasee state, Kothi state, Kamtarajaula state, Khaniadhana state, princely state of Jagnee and Jaso state.
On 25 January 1950, ten former Indian princely states, including Tauree Fatehpur, Sareela, Samthar, Jagnee, Charkharee, Bijona, Beri, Baonee, Banka Paharee and Baihath, were reassigned to the states of Madhya Bharat and Uttar Pradesh. Later on 1st November 1956, the state of Vindhya Pradesh, along with the states of Bhopal
and Madhya Bharat were incorporated in to Madhya Pradesh
state. After the formation of the Vindhya Pradesh state was formed; it was segmented into 2 parts, which were later divided into 8 districts. The Bundelkhand Division was headquartered at Nowgaon and included 4 districts, Datia district, Tikamgarh district, Chhatarpur district and Panna district. The Baghelkhand Division was headquartered at Rewa and consisted of 4 districts, which were Shahdol district, Sidhi district, Satna district and Rewa district.
Administration of Vindhya Pradesh
The Rajpramukh (1948- 1949), the Chief Commissioner (1949- 1952) and the Lieutenant Governor (1952- 1956) were the nominal heads of the state. Vindhya Pradesh had a Vidhan Sabha that consisted of 60 members elected from 48 constituencies and the state included 4 Lok Sabha
constituencies as well. After the establishment of the state in the year 1948, the last ruler of the princely state of Rewa, Martand Singh was appointed as the Rajpramukh; and the last ruler of the princely state of Panna, Yadvendra Singh, was appointed as the Uparajpramukh of Vindhya Pradesh. Awadhesh Pratap Singh became the first Chief Minister of the Baghelkhand Division and Kamta Prasad Saxena was appointed as the Chief Minister of the Bundelkhand Division. Later Awadhesh Pratap Singh became the Chief Minister of the entire state.
After the resignation of Awadhesh Pratap Singh on April 14th, 1949, Chief Commissioner N.B. Bonerji succeeded him on 15th April 1949. S. N. Mehta took over after him. The Socialist Party won 11 seats and the Indian National Congress won 40 seats in the first general election in the year 1951. On 13 March 1952, Shambhunath Shukla of Indian National Congress
was appointed as the Chief Minister of Vindhya Pradesh state. He held office until 31st October 1956.