(Last Updated on : 06/04/2013)
Chennai Super Kings or CSK is a franchisee cricket team that is based in the city of Chennai
in the Indian State
of Tamil Nadu
. The team is a part of the Indian Premier League
. Chennai team has been the champions for two consecutive times (2010 and 2011) and runners up for 2008 and 2009 editions. The team is led by the Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni
, and coached by the former New Zealand cricket captain Stephen Fleming. The team`s home ground is the M. A. Chidambaram Stadium
(often referred to as Chepauk).For the 2012 IPL season the team also reached the finals, where they lost against Kolkata Knight Riders
This team from Chennai has been the most successful team in the Indian Premier League, having won the championship twice and also reached the play offs every seasons. CSK won the 2010 Champions League Twenty20, and in the process becoming the only team from India to achieve both feats. The leading run-scorer of the side is Suresh Raina
, while the leading wicket-taker is Albie Morkel.
Owners of the Chennai Super Kings
CSK has the most consistent record in IPL. The team is owned by India Cements group. N. Srinivasan is the Vice Chairman and Managing Director of India Cements Ltd, and is the de facto owner of the team - Chennai Super Kings, by means of his position within the company. N. Srinivasan also happens to be the current president of Board of Control for Cricket in India
, the former Indian Cricket
player and captain, who is also the current chairman of National Selection Committee, was the brand ambassador for the franchisee till the end of third season of IPL. And V.B. Chandrasekhar is the chief selector for the team. In order to garner more support for the team and develop a fan base, actor Vijay and actress Nayantara were also appointed as ambassador for the team.
Team for Chennai Super Kings
Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Support Staff for Chennai Super Kings
- t would be an understatement to say that Stephen Fleming played a major role in transforming New Zealands cricket. Having given the responsibility of leading a young side at a very young age, Fleming evolved into one of the greatest and successful captains the game ever saw. He is the head coach for CSK.
- Steve Rixon debuted for Australia as an amazing wicket keeper in 1977-78. He lost his place to Rodney Marsh upon the latter`s return. He was forced to wait on the fringes of the national team and in the meanwhile accompanied the team for the ashes in 1981 as a reserve keeper. He got his chance back in 1984-85 when marsh retired. In 1985-86, Rixon joined the team for a rebel tour of South Africa, but on his return, he was not permitted to re-join the national team. He is at present the fielding coach of Chennai Super Kings.
- Andy Bichel is a perfect example of a hard worker. Primarily a seam bowler, his ability to bowl long spells and also at a consistent pace made him a fearsome strike bowler. He was one of the best hard hitters in the lower order during his days. He is the assistant coach for CSK.
- Melbourne based Tom Simsek is a highly qualified Physiotherapist. He shot into prominence when he was appointed the physio of the Sri Lankan team an association that went on for 5 years. He is the physio of CSK Team.
- A highly skilled manager, Radha Krishnan, fondly called as Russel is known for his ability to effectively organize just about anything. A fixture with the Indian cricket team for years Russell is a very familiar face.
Russell Radha Krishnan joined the Chennai Super Kings in 2008 and has since earned the respect and admiration of the players and support staff alike. In the hustle and bustle of constant travelling and non-stop cricket, it is the calm hand and efficiency of Russell that ensures that the players get on with their game while he takes care of all other issues.
- Gregory King lives in South Africa and is today considered one of the best trainers in the world. He came into the limelight when he took up the reins as the trainer of the Indian cricket
team in August 2003. Gregory is a post graduate in Human Kinetics and Ergonomics. He was contracted with BCCI till December 2007.Since IPL season one, King has been the trainer of Chennai Super Kings and has played a major role in the team`s success.
- Lakshmi Narayanan is a National Cricket Academy (NCA) Qualified Video Analyst. He has been working with the TNCA for over 4 years and has also toured with the Indian A team abroad. Associated with the Chennai Super Kings over the past couple of years, he has worked with some of the top coaches in the country. He has been largely responsible for the introduction of technology based player skill development at the Chennai Super Kings. His work with the Chennai Super Kings has helped the team greatly. His analysis is something that the team and players depend upon to better their performances.