(Last Updated on : 24/12/2014)
Hamirpur district is located at a lower altitude of the Himalayas and was named a district of Himachal Pradesh in 1972. It is pretty small in size, covering an area of 1118 sq. km., compared to its other counterparts. Major portions of the area are hilly, surrounded by pine trees and the Shivalik Range. The town of Hamirpur serves as the district headquarters of the district. The key languages constitute Hindi, Punjabi and English. River Beas flows by Hamirpur, acting as the chief drainage basin. Agriculture is the main economy of the district folk, with wheat, maize, rice, pulses, oilseeds and vegetables functioning as the primary crops. The basic tourist places include-Deotsidh, temple of Sujanpur Tihra and Nadaun. Hamirpur is the most knowledgeable district in Himachal Pradesh.
Shivalaya Bachhretu, Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
-A medieval architecture, Shivalaya Bachhretu enshrines Lord Shiva along with Nandi, the Lord's trusted bull.
Murli Manohar Temple, Sujanpur Tira, Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
- Murli Manohar Temple has Lord Krishna and Radha emoting out from every angle of the structure.
Baba Balak Nath Temple, Deothsidh, Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
-Baba Balak Nath Temple forbids entry of women in the sanctum, yet is considered an esteemed place of worship.
Narvadeshwar Temple, Sujanpur Tira, Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
- Decorated with marvellous murals, Narvadeshwar Temple is consecrated to the primary god of Hinduism, Lord Shiva.
Mandir Shivalaya, Nadaun, Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
-Mandir Shivalaya, also called Pattanwala Mandir, is a small Shiva temple, situated in Nadaun in Hamirpur district of Himachal Pradesh. It was erected by Raja Sansar Chand of Kangra (1776-1823 A.D.). The temple is legendary for its exquisite wall murals. Most of the paintings belong to the last quarter of 19th century.
Gurudwara Nadaun, Nadaun, Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
- Built to commemorate a battle, valiantly fought by Guru Gobind Singh, Gurudwara Nadaun is a hallowed place of pilgrimage.
Tauni Devi Temple, Hamirpur-Awa Devi, Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
- Believers visit Tauni Devi Temple for several respective reasons, consecrated to the sister of the leading Goddess in Hinduism.
Awa-Devi Temple, Bhoranj, Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
- Equipped with legends for its being constructed, Awa-Devi Temple is regarded as the patron goddess of most locals.
Bil-kaleshwar Temple, Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
- Looked at as an exceptionally sanctified shrine, Bil-kaleshwar Temple's construction was commenced by the Pandavas, concluded by a later king.
Gasota Mahadev Temple, Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
- Placed amidst tranquil surroundings, Gasota Mahadev Temple houses the phallus form of Lord Shiva.
Jhanyari Devi Temple, Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
- Legendary of a king's sheer belief in unearthly powers, Jhanyari Devi Temple holds massive historical importance.
Kalanjari Devi Temple, Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
- Kalanjari Devi Temple is visited by common man and ascetics alike, erected hundreds of years ago.