(Last Updated on : 12/04/2014)
Bahu Temple is situated inside the Bahu Fort, one of the oldest forts of the state, popularly called Bave Wali Mata Mandir. The Bahu Fort is a fortress representing the lavishness of the Dogra kings and the royal family that resided to rule the region. The fort was originally built by Raja Bahulochan and later amended by the Dogra kings. The original structure is more than 3000 year old. Pilgrims flock the temple on Tuesdays and Sundays, regarded auspicious.
The fort, along with the Bahu temple, commands a panoramic view of the Jammu city. On the bypass road, behind the Bahu fort, the city forest surrounds the ancient Maha Maya Temple overlooking the River Tawi. A small garden surrounded by acres of woods furnishes a populated destination for tourists. Mahamaya is the local goddess of the Dogras, who lost her life 14 centuries ago combating foreign invaders. The present Bave Wali Mata mandir was built shortly after the coronation of Maharaja Gulab Singh in 1822. It is also known as the Mahakali Temple, the goddess considered second only to Mata Vaishno Devi in terms of mystical power. The Bahu Temple is dedicated to Goddess Kali, the reigning deity of the region of Jammu & Kashmir.