(Last Updated on : 22/10/2013)
Located in the old Kangra Township of the state of Himachal Pradesh, the Brajeshwari Devi Temple was built over the charred breasts of Sati. This shrine was renowned for its great wealth. Over the ages it has been plundered relentlessly. Mahmud of Ghazni was the first plunderer. He looted it in 1009. A mosque was built on the ruins and a garrison was left behind.
After long thirty-five years, the local King regained its possession. The shrine was repaired and a replica of the idol was enshrined. The temple was filled with gold, silver and diamonds. In 1360, Firoz Shah Tughlaq again ransacked it. Later Emperor Akbar visited the temple with his Dewan, Toder Mal and restored its former grandeur. An earthquake in 1905 annihilated the temple but a new temple was raised on the same year.