(Last Updated on : 03/02/2009)
The word `musafirkhana` means sarai or dharamshala. Musafirkhana is a ` panchayat town` situated in Sultanpur district of the northern state of India, Uttar Pradesh. Located on the Lucknow-Sultanpur road, a state highway Musafirkhana is in the northwest of Sultanpur at a distance of 32 kilometers, 27 km from Nihalgarh and 20 km from Jagdishpur. Gauriganj and Amethi are accessible from Musafirkhana via roadways. The nearest railway station is the Amethi railway station on the Lucknow-Varanasi rail route via Rae Bareli and the nearest airport is the Amausi airport. Geographically, the town is located between 26.37° North latitude and 81.8° East longitude at a height of 102 metres (334 feet) above mean sea level.
Detailed information about the town is stated in the Indian Census report of 2001. According to the report, Musafirkhana had a small population of 7373. Males constitute 53% of the population and females` account for the remaining 47%. In Musafirkhana, 15% of the population is less than six years of age. The Census report also throws light on the literacy rate of the population. The literacy rate of Musafirkhana is 66%, which is higher than the national average literacy rate, which is 59.5 percent. The male literacy rate is 75 percent and the female literacy rate is 57%.