(Last Updated on : 12/09/2012)
Baljit ("Baljeet") Singh Saini was born on August 12 in the year1976 at Ropar in the Indian state
. This far famed field hockey player plays both in the positions as defender and midfielder. Baljit Singh Saini made his international debut in the year 1995 for the Men's National Team. It was during the Indira Gandhi Gold Cup. At two consecutive Summer Olympics, Singh Saini represented his native country. It started in the year1996 in Atlanta, Georgia. At the 1996 Olympics India finished in eighth place. Balwinder Singh is his older brother who was also a field hockey international for India.
Baljit Singh Saini plays for the team of Punjab & Sindh Bank, Punjab in the half back position. The tournaments, which he had played in, the domestic fronts are: National Championship in the year 1992, March 1999 (held at Hyderabad
) and December 2000 (Held at Jammu and Kashmir
) in which they finished in the 4th position. He participated in the National Games held in the year December 2002 at Hyderabad in which they came first. Muruguppa Gold Cup in the year 1998 in the month of July, held at Chennai
in Tamil Nadu
In the international circuit post 2002 world cup, he has played 248 matches and made 14 goals. After his international debut with the Indira Gandhi gold cup in the year 1995, he has participated at the Olympics.
International tournaments played by Baljit Singh Saini are:
* Olympics --- Sep 2000 - Sydney (7th), Jul/Aug 1996 - Atlanta (8th)
* World Cup --- Feb/Mar 2002 - Kuala Lumpur (10th), May 1998 - Utrecht (9th) Asian Games --- Dec 1998 - Bangkok in which India came first.
* Indo-Pak Series --- Feb 1999 - Lost 3-6, 2 GOALS; Feb/Mar 1998 - Lost 3-4
* SAF Games --- 1995 - Chennai, India finished at the first position.
* Indira Gandhi Gold Cup --- 1995 - Lucknow
* Junior World Cup --- Sep 1997 - Milton Keynes (2nd), as CAPTAIN he has played and after that he was selected in World XI Team.
* Commonwealth Games --- Sep 1998 - Kuala Lumpur India finished at 4th position.
* Sultan Azlan Shah Cup --- Feb 2000 - Kuala Lumpur (3rd); 1996 - Ipoh; 1995 - Kuala Lumpur, India finished at the first position.
* Prime Minister's Gold Cup --- Mar 2001 - Dhaka (1st)
* Australian Tour --- Apr 2000 - Sydney (3rd in 4-Nation); Apr 2000 - Perth (1st in 4-Nation); Apr 1998 - Last in 4-Nation Tourney as CAPTAIN
* European Tour --- Jul 2001 - World Cup Qualifier, Edinburgh (5th); Jun 1999 - Germany (1-3-0), Belgium (3-0-1); 1995 - Olympic Qualifier, Spain
* New Zealand Tour ---- Jun 2001 - Lost 1-2-1
* South African Tour --- Aug 1999 - Johannesburg - Lost 0-3-2
* Test Series --- Feb/Mar 2001 - vs. Germany - Lost 1-2; 1996 - vs. England, Germany, Australia.