It is an interesting and important Mudra that can be practised anywhere, any time. Unwittingly, this Mudra is quite popular, since it is good for the brain. Following are the instructions for the practice of such:
* People should sit down in contemplation with both hands in front and the fingers touching at the tips as though in deep thought.
* The fingertips of both hands should be placed together.
* The eyes should be directed upward with the tip of the tongue placed on the gums while inhaling.
* The tongue should fall again while exhaling and then take a deep breath. This helps to increase memory.
Bronchial and Asthma Mudra
These Mudras are useful for respiratory problems and can be done with both hands. The Bronchial and the Asthma Madras can be done for a few minutes one after the other until the breathing calms down. For prolonged treatment these two Mudras can be done five times every day for 5 minutes.
* The little finger should be placed at the base of the thumb, the ring finger on the upper thumb joint and the middle finger or the top soft portion of the thumb. The index finger should be extended. This can be done for a few minutes everyday.
* It can be done along with the Asthma Mudra, which is also done with both hands. Press together the fingernails of the middle fingers while keeping the other fingers extended. This is effective for asthma attacks.
The Pran Mudra activates the root chakra and increases vitality. This can be done up to half an hour a day or three times a day for 15 minutes.
* The tips of the thumb, ring finger and little finger should be taken together while the index finger and the middle finger remain extended.
* This Mudra can be done with both hands.
This Mudra boosts the body's immune system and loosens the mucous that has been collected in the lungs and it is believed to make the body more resistant to colds and chest infections. Those who habitually suffer from bad colds and incurable chest infections are advised to practise the Linga Mudra. It is also helpful in weight reduction. However, because of the heat it generates, the Mudra can be taxing and can result in a feeling of lethargy. Weight-watchers who practise it must ensure that they consume cooling foods like fruits or drink as much water as they can, at least eight glasses a day.
* Both palms should be placed together with the fingers clasped.
* One thumb remains upright and encircled by the thumb and index finger of the other hand. Keep both hands in front of the chest.
* This Mudra can be practising three times a day for fifteen minutes.
This is called the Energy Mudra. This Mudra helps in removing the toxins from the body. It also has a balancing effect on the mind and helps develop inner balance and confidence.
* The thumb, middle finger and ring finger must be placed together but the index ginger and little finger to be extended more.
* This can be done for forty-five minutes or three times a day for fifteen minutes.
This Mudra is commonly found as a symbol in Hindu temples. This Mudra is very useful for problems of the throat. Mudras are practised all over the world these days and have been incorporated in various schools of self-development and growth. The conch shell is blown during all rituals. In this Mudra, the positioning and clasping of the fingers simulate a conch shell.
* The thumb should be encircled with the four fingers of the right hand.
* Right thumb should be raised to the extended middle finger to the extended middle Finger of the left hand.
* Now, together, the two hands resemble a conch shell.
* The hands should be held in front of one's sternum and Om to be chanted with it. This can be done 3 times every day for 15 minutes.
This Mudra seems a bit complicated and almost looks like a puppet player's fingers in action. This Mudra can be done three times a day for 15 minutes. It is supposed to be an effective tool against rheumatism.
* The little finger of the left hand should touch the ring finger of the right hand and the little finger of the right hand should touch the ring finger of the left hand.
* The middle fingers of both hands should touch the index fingers of the other keeping the thumbs extended.
Vayu means wind and this Mudra is specifically aimed at eliminating flatulence. It is believed to be working immediately. But after the problem is overcome, the Mudra should be discontinued. If the condition is chronic, the Mudra should be done thrice daily for 15 minutes.
* Bend the index finger of each hand till its tip touches the ball of the thumb.
* Then press the thumb lightly onto the index finger. The other three fingers should be extended and relaxed.
This Mudra is especially good for ear and hearing problems and can be done three times daily for 15 minutes.
* The middle finger should be bent until it touches the ball of the thumb.
* Then with the thumb lightly press down on the middle finger. The other fingers remain relaxed and extended.
* This should be done with both hands.
This Mudra activates the root chakra, which houses our vital energy or elemental force. A good vital energy optimizes the physical potential in a person who is then in a position to actualize both his physical and metaphysical goals. It is essential for a life of fulfilment to ward off energy deficits and the Prithvi Mudra is an ideal tool.
* The tip of the thumb should be placed on top of the ring finger with a little pressure.
* The other three fingers should be relaxed and extended.
* This can be done with both hands three times for about fifteen minutes a day.
This Mudra is very good to get rid of the excess mucous that collects in the stomach or lungs. A mucous overload is normally associated with over-stimulated nerves and by people who are too conscious of their responsibility. In their perception, they believe that they are saddled with every responsibility and it works on their bodies in the form of mucous accumulation.
* The little finger of your right hand should be bend hand until the tip touches the ball of the right thumb.
* Then place the thumb of the right hand on it.
* With the left thumb press the little finger and thumb lightly while the left hand gently encircles the right hand from below, covering the back of the right palm.
* The Bhudi Mudra helps maintain the fluid balance in the body.
* The tip of the thumb should be placed on the little finger while the other fingers remain relaxed and extended.
* This should be done with each hand and can be done three times a day for fifteen minutes.
Apan Vayu Mudra
This is called the Lifesaver and is the first aid for heart attacks. Every conceivable problem has a Mudra, which enables a cure. A person who has developed heart trouble can check it by reducing the vayu tatwa and apan vayu of his body. He can do this with the Vayu and Apan Mudras. This Mudra is supposed to have immediate effect in an emergency. It can also be used over a period of time to strengthen the heart. However, the Mudras are not a substitute for medication.
* The index finger should be brought down on the mound of the thumb, and the tips of the third and fourth finger of the thumb should be joined.
* The little finger should be relaxed and extended. This can be done with each hand.
* This Mudra can be done three times a day for fifteen minutes or until the effect is felt.
This is an excellent Mudra for backache. There are many reasons for backache. Stress is one of the prime causes. This Mudra is done with both hands.
* The thumb, middle finger and little finger of the right hand should touch and the index finger and ring finger are relaxed and extended.
* In the left place the thumb joint on the nail of the index finger.
* This can be done four times a day for four minutes.
This Mudra is quite remarkable as it is dedicated to the god of wealth. In this one uses three fingers, which represent Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Mars stands for forcefulness, Jupiter for resplendence and Saturn for its fixation on the essential. They are the thumb, middle finger and index finger respectively. This Mudra is not just for money, but can be used even for several specific goals. When these three fingers close and is accompanied by intensity of thought, there is added strength. The Kubera Mudra decongests the frontal sinuses.
* The fingers are to be pressed together when you do this. Here, the tips of the thumb, index finger and middle finger are placed together.
* The other two fingers are bent and rest in the middle of the hand. One can continue with both the hands.
Good sex is essential for personal well-being. The Kundalini Mudra is associated with the sexual force that needs to be awakened. It is about the unification of the masculine and the feminine. Several schools of yoga and even the martial arts have recognized the immense power of the fountain of human's energy. It is the receptacle of regeneration and creativity.
* Here, both the hands should form a loose fist.
* Then, extend the left index finger into the right fist from below and place it on the pad of the right thumb.
* The other fingers of the right hand cover the finger from above. It is like a loose and comfortable fleshy glove for the left index finger.
* This Mudra should be held as low as possible in front of the abdomen.
* This Mudra is to be practiced 3 times a day for 15 minutes.
The various types of Yoga Mudra may be practiced anytime while standing, walking, lying or even sitting. It is suggested by experts that the Yoga Mudras should be practiced for 24 minutes incessantly, for good results. It can also be done for 5 minutes at a time as well.